Technology in the curriculum

I will be using the New South Wales curriculum, developed by BOSTES (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/). My main work is supporting primary school teachers to deliver curriculum and I will be concentrating on English in my assignment. This area seems to be the priority for teachers when they seek my support.

At this stage I am thinking about responding to and composing texts using technology. The school has SmartBoards, iPads and laptops in each classroom fo ruse but is not a 1:1 school.

Information and communication technology is found in the learning across the curriculum content component of the English syllabus. This includes the cross-curriculum priorities and general capabilities and assists students to achieve the broad learning outcomes defined in the Board of Studies K–10 Curriculum Framework and Statement of Equity Principles, and in the Melbourne Declaration on Educational Goals for Young Australians (December 2008).

Cross-curriculum priorities enable students to develop understanding about and address the contemporary issues they face.

The cross-curriculum priorities are:

• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures
  • Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia
  • Sustainability

General capabilities encompass the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviours to assist students to live and work successfully in the 21st century.

The general capabilities are:

• Critical and creative thinking
  • Ethical understanding
  • Information and communication technology capability
  • Intercultural understanding
  • Literacy
  • Numeracy
  • Personal and social capability (http://syllabus.bos.nsw.edu.au/english/english-k10/learning-across-the-curriculum/)

Where does technology fit in the English curriculum?

The ICT component of learning across the curriculum in English “enables students to develop and apply knowledge, understanding and skills of ICT in their composing, responding and presenting, and as part of the imaginative and critical thinking they undertake in English.

Students have the opportunity to become competent, discriminating and creative users of ICT as they learn to use ICT effectively and appropriately when investigating, creating and communicating ideas and information. Students will learn about the ethics of information communication through technology” (http://syllabus.bos.nsw.edu.au/english/english-k10/learning-across-the-curriculum/).

How do I feel about planning lessons using technology?

I am excited about planning lessons using technology. I need to be sure though that I don’t spend my time trying to find the right tool and sway away from the curriculum outcomes as a focus. It is very easy to be distracted by an app or a Web 2.0 tool that looks inviting and try to make it fit the lesson. I intend to follow Roblyer & Doering’s (2014) advice on how to successfully integrate technology;

1. Be sure about the learning theory as this should inform teaching strategies

2. Use the TIP (Technology Integration Planning) model as well as Tech-PACK

3. Ensure the classroom has the essential conditions for integration (p.48), for example access to technology, skilled teachers, technical assistance (p.82)

2 thoughts on “Technology in the curriculum

1. Hi Narelle
    I note your comment that it is easy to get distracted by the cool technology/apps and try to make it fit the curriculum. This is something I also find difficult as I get excited by new technological things!
    I think many teachers use technology as a novelty without really considering how it is helping to achieve learning outcomes. Good luck for the rest of the study!